I finally found a desk for my sewing machine that I liked enough to buy. The only problem was it had some scuffs, marks, paint, and glitter glue left over from the previous owners. Not to fear though, I got my gas mask and rubber gloves out and got to stripping. The wood stain that is.
I was so excited to get started that I stripped the top of the desk before I remembered to take any pictures. Naturally it had the most paint splatters since it is the working surface. I was careful though with the top because it has a veneer and I was worried to much stripper might cause it to warp.
The whole process took a few coats of stripper and many breaks for fresh air. Even though I worked in an open garage, I still had a few headaches. Next time I plan to use Ready Strip, its environmentally friendly and doesn’t contain harmful vapors.
But the headaches were worth it, sort of. I love how it turned out. I used two different stains, applying one to two or three coats where needed. I applied the stain, let it sit for a few minutes then took a cloth and wiped the excess off. In areas where I wanted it darker I added more coats. Than I applied two coats of a clear varnish to the entire piece. The existing knobs and pulls are still in good shape so I reattached them.